The following information will familiarize you with our policies and will enhance your overall class experience.
Any family wishing to withdraw from a class may do so with a $25.00 cancellation fee BEFORE classes begin for the first child and $45.00 if more than one child is enrolled. For those who cancel after the registration deadline, a credit towards a future session for unattended classes, minus a $15 registration fee, will be given. If materials have been received there will also be a $50 reduction of the credit. ***No Refunds will be given.
For our In-Person classes please note:
- Masks will be required for all adults and children over the age of 2 years attending in-person classes.
- As per Pinecrest Community Center rules, if Covid-19 daily numbers reach 10% or above for Miami-Dade County then classes will revert to Online until further notice.
- Families will bring their own instruments from home (either MKM instrument kits, homemade or items from home) to make sure that everyone stays safe.
- Families will bring their own small blanket, large towel or yoga mat to sit on during class. Your blanket will help provide a clear visual boundary for phyical distancing while we sing, dance and jam together!
- There will be no in-person make-up or bonus classes. If your family has to miss a class, you can schedule a make-up in a Zoom class for that week. You are also invited to attend unlimited drop-in classes in our online classes, as well.
- Make-ups and Drop-ins will NOT be allowed in our in-person classes in order to keep class sizes small enough for physical distancing.
Any family wishing to withdraw from an online class may do so with a $25.00 cancellation fee BEFORE classes begin. For those who cancel AFTER the registration deadline, a credit towards a future session for unattended classes, minus a $15 registration fee, will be given. If materials have been received there will also be a $50 reduction of the credit.
***No Refunds will be given****
Families are allowed unlimited make-up classes per session to be used within the CURRENT session only and ONLINE ONLY.
To schedule a make-up, please click on our Online Makeup Scheduler.
During Covid-19 NO GUESTS will be allowed to attend our in-person classes.
Guests are welcome to attend any Online classes together with you.
- Temperatures will be taken at the door as you enter the Pinecrest Community Center.
- If you or your child are displaying a temperature of 99 degrees or above, you will be asked not to attend class that day.
- If you or your child is not feeling well or have a runny nose (no matter the color), please stay home.
- If you believe you have possibly been exposed to someone who has tested positive for Covid-19, please stay home.
- If you have traveled out of the State of Florida on an airplane, please stay home.
We will be happy to help you schedule a make-up class online or you are welcome to attend any of our Online classes as a makeup. If you or your child displays symptoms of illness while in class, such as excessive coughing or runny nose that hinders your child's participation in class, you will be asked to leave the class for the day. Please do not be upset, but understand that this is for the good of all our children, and our families including your own.
If in doubt, schedule a Makeup or email us at MiamiKidsMusic@aol.com.
To check on class cancellations due to inclement weather, please check your e-mail/text or call us at 305-439-4444. We will follow the Public School Board Policy: If classes in the Public Schools are cancelled, OUR classes are cancelled. Classes that must be cancelled due to inclement weather will be rescheduled.
Infants 7 months or under may attend FREE with a paid, registered sibling in some locations.
Please Note: Infants must be 7 months of age or younger at the start of the session.
Masks do not need to be worn by children under the age of 2 years.
Children get strong cues from routine and context. Creating a special place or set-up for music time prepares children to transition from other activities and helps them engage with the class experience more fully. Here are some easy tips to make music class a special event:
- The optimal space for class is on the floor. Move funiture, if necessary, to make sure there is space to sit, stand and move around a few steps, even if your child does not yet walk.
- Define the space by putting down a cheerful picnic blanket or throw to sit on and bringing out a basket with your musical instruments or props.
- Clear away as many distractions as you can from the space, especially toys.
- Create anticipation before class as you prepare the space. If your child is old enough to walk, involve them in setting up the space with you.
- Sit with your child and react personally to what is going on in class. It is not important that the child maintain focus on the screen. YOU are the one who will follow the teacher. Your child will eventually try to copy what you do.
- Do not be shy about singing. You will be on MUTE most of the time anyway, so only your child will get to hear your wonderful voice.
- Do not be shy about moving and dancing. Movement is a big part of your child's overall development. If you want to dance more privately, just move yourself out of the camera's view. WE do not need to see you, but your child does.
- (For CyBC Families) Remember that even if you are a beginner level Spanish speaker, you are your child's model in class. In addition to modeling music making, you are a modeling important behaviors such as openness to new experiences and enthusiasm for learning something new!
- Listen to your music as often as you can. Repetition is not only essential for learning; it will also make your actual class time richer and more meaningful.
- If your child is old enough to handle the CD, get them a personal CD player so they can play their favorite songs independently without need for a "screen".
- Make your songbook accessible for your child to pick up and "read" like any other picture book. Look through a few pages at a time together and point out what you or your child notices.
- Play your music throughout the day or at certain times you make part of your daily routine. (For CyBC: "Music and Spanish" time!) Move and sing your own way or copy the moves you saw in class or in the recorded videos in the Family Portal.
- Visit the Family Portal for extra content or to watch a class again.
- For CyBC families: Visit the Online Family Playground and take advantage of the resources in an age appropriate manner. For example, if your child is very young, you can watch the sing-along videos yourself to learn more about the songs and get tips for how to "play" with them outside of class time.